Monday, March 31, 2008

"My Favorite Chocolate Recipe" Monday

So, most of you know that I love to cook. My sister Jenn gave me a subscription to Cooks Illustrated magazine and my goal is to try one new thing each time. Last month I came across a recipe for:
Foolproof One Minute Chocolate Frosting
Now, a title like that is just asking me to prove it wrong. Foolproof? I'll show you! I love buttercream frosting but I can never make it quite right and it just ends up tasting like powdered sugar with a touch of milk. I'm not a huge, huge chocolate fan, but since I'm surrounded by people who think a cake really isn't worth eating unless it's chocolate, I thought I'd give it a try. Amazing. It is so easy, very yummy, and looks almost professional.

The recipe note says this can be made with milk, semisweet, or bittersweet chocolate (I used milk). It makes enough to frost one 9" 2 layer cake (to avoid lots of crumbs, stick the cake in the freezer for a bit). And, it's more like 7 minute frosting...

Foolproof One Minute Chocolate Frosting
20 Tablespoons (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (60-65 degrees)
1 c. confectioners' sugar
2/3 c. Dutch -processed cocoa (I just used the plain old Hershey's cocoa powder)
pinch of table salt
3/4 c. light corn syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
8 ounces chocolate (melted and cooled slightly) (I just melted milk chocolate chips in the microwave, 20 seconds at a time -- don't do it too long or too fast or they will seize up and your spoon will somehow get stuck in a big lump of hard chocolate)

In food processor, process butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping side of bowl as needed. Add corn syrup and vanilla and process until just combined, 5-10 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl, then add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy, 10-15 seconds. Frosting can be used immediately or held in the fridge up to 3 hours.

So, if you try it out let me know how it goes!

And, now your turn! What is your favorite CHOCOLATE recipe??? Grammy? I believe you have an oft requested hot fudge recipe... :)


3 comments:

Emily said...

Marisa,

Hmm. I don't like chocolate but my mom has the BEST brownie recipe in the world. When I get done with my exams I'll send it to you. Speaking of recipes, I want that lean chili recipe from Jen! Do you still have it?

Oh, I also need your mailing address...when you get two seconds (if you ever do!) send it to my email...Got a little something to mail all of you. Tell the cute fam hi

Lauralee said...

I just realized that, without exception, the really deluxe chocolate recipes that I have are mom's! The closest thing I've got is a yummy banana chocolate chip muffin recipe.

Mad Hatter Banana Muffins
2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. butter
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. ripe mashed bananas
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. buttermilk

Oven 375. Grease or line 36 mini muffin cups (my favorite) or 12 regular muffin cups. Mix together all wet ingredients except buttermilk. Alternate buttermilk and dry until just blended. Add chocolate chips. Bake minis for 15 minutes and regulars for 25. Yum!

Lataun said...

Marisa,

Can't wait to try this recipe. Sis's birthday is today and lucky for me she wanted a Dairy Queen ice cream cake, so I won't be needing any frosting recipes today. But Indee's is coming up in a couple of weeks.

I did try your sling out at the aquarium. Mia did pretty good in it for a while. I think if she were more used to it, like had used it when she were younger, grew up in it, it would have been better. SHe's used to being out and independent. I don't think I got any pics either. Next time I use I'll snap some. Sounds like you had a fun break also, did you make it to that store in Rupert?

Lataun