Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mormon Soul Food

I have many weaknesses:
Diet Coke
Old movies
Movies with Colin Firth
Costco
Clearance racks
Mary Higgins Clark books
Not taping the walls when I paint
Counting the puzzle pieces when I put them away
Reality TV (Survivor and Dancing with the Stars)
The Dollar Store
Reading the Sunday paper in the same order. every week.
Sleeping in
The smell of Sharpies


But perhaps the most embarassing... these:

I can pretty much eat a whole pan of these. I'm serious. Ask my sister. She was here and we made a pan (a cookie sheet pan!) and I think she was pretty disconcerted to see that I couldn't walk by without a little piece. Or a big piece.

I'm also embarrassed to admit that I didn't even know how to make them until about a year ago. My SIL JeNeale makes them with little pieces of almost melted chocolate chips which, to me makes them practically gourmet. For some reason Rice Krispy Treats seem like the quintessential Mormon treat. Am I wrong? I remember eating Rice Krispy Treats as a kid -- and as a mom, what's not to love? cheap. fast. easy. So maybe they're nutritionally void of anything good and my brother in law the dentist may not approve, but I LOVE them!

I just made a tray (yes, that's right, we make 'em Texas-sized here..) and we're going to cut them out with cookie cutters and wrap them for Audrey's friends. Then, I will only be able to eat the scraps....at least that's the plan.

So, what's your weakness? Lindor truffles? Blue Bell Ice cream? Netflix? Endless.com? Tuesday nights at McDonalds? :)
Fess up!

9 comments:

JeNeale said...

I have so many weaknesses that I will have to do a blog post to list them. Love this post!

J Willhite said...

I can't believe with a headline like "Mormon Soul Food" you did not include funeral potatoes or homemade macaroni and cheese. How about twice baked potatoes, gravy or lemon bars? All foods of our people, surely.

Kate said...

I have lots of weaknesses! I have to say my biggest one is chocolate chip cookie dough. I love eating the dough and not really getting the cookies into the oven! I also have a weakness for Dr.Pepper but haven't had it a lot lately. I can't think of any others lately probably because it is getting late and I have the forgetful pregnancy brain.

Rhiannon said...

I too have waaay too many weaknesses, but to name a few...diet coke of course, when I am done nursing or at least in a few more months those will turn into vanilla d.c.s from sonic. Also a few others, pumpkin chocolate chip muffin tops from Kroger, and head wraps/bows for Mia, just to name a few!!! What a great post!!!

Katie said...

I just watched the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth and I was telling my sisters how much I love him!! I'm so glad you do too!!! And my weakness... anything chocolate!

Anonymous said...

My weakness has always been Coca-Cola. There are plenty of other things that I LOVE, but it's the one thing that I just sometimes have to have!!

Marisa said...

Oh Jenn, you're so right! funeral potatoes and lemon bars...I've got Sunday dinner halfway planned!

Ha! Kate, In our family we don't even cook the cookie dough...I rank my cookies by how much I like the dough!

Rhi -- I miss our Diet Coke outings...what is vanilla d.c.s? And, where can I get one?!?!

Katie, I've been watching Bridge Jones (1 and 2) that I taped off TV, and I'm laughing my head off and Colin Firth is perfect!! I've also got P&P saved on my DVR...I can't wait!!

I love that I'm surrounded by soda junkies...most of all my husband! Cash and I are married because of Mt. Dew...a story for another post...

Lataun said...

Hi Marisa,

I've read everyone's and not one person listed jello...as mormon soul food. My mom would make it with the most crazy things...like green jello and cucumbers (not lying)! She could never just make plain jello, oh no! She had to put mostly fruit into it but sometimes veggies...ugh!

I love your blog and love that you are keeping up with mine. Talk to you soon.

Lataun

Lauralee said...

Some of my strange quirks are:
Baby food desserts
Middle-aged men (still strong and handsome but with enough life under the belt to also be wise) Jay's getting close. Hopefully he likes middle-aged women. :)
Cary Grant (especially those middle-aged roles like Charade)
Blistex (mint or berry)
children's books and toys
general conference on c.d.
Marisa's record of natural disasters, JeNeale's Ramblings, Jay's Digital Ephemera, and A Day in the Life of the Hills