Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Gratitude.

I have been MIA from my blog for a while because we had a family emergency and a scary week. Last Sunday I got a call from my brother Kevin saying that my brother Jae's wife was in a coma. As you can see from the picture, Jae's wife Emily is a gorgeous, sweet lady and she's so good for my brother.

Now, the Schroeder kids don't do well with the word "coma" because the last time my mom was conscious before she died was when they induced her into a coma to try an experimental procedure. She never woke up. So, we were
so worried about Emily; the doctors didn't have a lot of positive things to say early on. She wasn't conscious and Jae was a wreck. My sister from CA came up for the first few days and then Cash, Emmett, and I went down on Wednesday morning and stayed until Friday night, when my dad came in from Texas. We spent a lot of time just sitting in the hospital with my brother making sure he was eating and not driving himself crazy with worry. While we were there Emily started to open her eyes and even said a few words. Jae was the most excited when she said she wanted a Diet Coke! He knew that was Emily...and she got one after a couple of days! She loved Emmett and kept telling Jae that she wanted to steal him or have a "cute baby like Emmett."

We are really grateful for her miraculous recovery; by the time we left on Friday she was moving down to the rehab room and had all her tubes and monitors off and it was just a fantastic day. What a blessing.

After having such a scare, I realized that I am grateful for so many things: Cash. Family. Modern Medicine. The Gospel. Priesthood Blessings. Flexible Jobs. Eternal Families. (and as an homage to Emily...Diet Coke.)

I just re-read above and just so it's not open to interpretation, I mean the Cash I sleep with, although the other is nice too, but it doesn't love me unconditionally.

8 comments:

Lataun said...

Marisa, How scary. What happened to put her in a coma? She is a beautiful girl.

Rhiannon said...

I am sorry to hear about that scare. No one wants to get a call like that. So glad to hear that she is improving. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if that Diet Coke helped in her recovery, that stuff is magical!!

Kate said...

I am sorry to hear about your SIL. She is a gorgeous person and I am so glad to hear that she is doing better!! Is she out of the hospital now? Welcome back to blogging!

Anonymous said...

You sleep with cash? Like, stuffed in the mattress?

PS - Nothing like going for the obvious. :)

JeNeale said...

I am grateful Emily has gotten so much better and hope she makes a full recovery. I am especially grateful that you are home and don't have to go through another tragedy like your mom. And it's true--the Diet Coke has healing properties!

Emily said...

Marisa,

I just had to stop by and say a huge huge huge thank you to you and every member of your family for all of their support and love and prayers during this time. At first they didn't even know if I'd make it, and now they're expecting a full recovery. Everyone was so wonderful to me and I remember you being there! (And I do remember how cute Emmett is....I just can't stand it!) Thank you for setting up the blog and for helping us get things started. I'm just so grateful for everything and can't wait to get out. Now that I have a fever it looks like I'll be out by next Tuesday. It seems like the longest two and a half weeks of my life, but I'm insanely grateful to be here and have you and your family as a SIL.

Love you lots.

-Emily

Trish said...

Wow - I just read Emily's comment. What a miracle!

Marisa said...

Em -- I'm so glad you're up and typing!! :) We are sooo happy that you're going to get out of there and be healed completely. It was so great to be there with you and Jae!