Monday, February 25, 2008

My Country 'tis of Thee, Sweet Land of Liberty

Well, I just finished a heart-wrenching book:

The story is so interesting and I really enjoyed getting immersed in the country of Afghanistan, which I'm sad to say I knew/know very little about. The story is moving and often makes me angry that there are men who do not believe that women are their complementary equals. It also reminds me how fortunate I am to live in this extraordinary country. Even with its many flaws, America is a blessed nation. I am grateful to have been guided to this country and to have the freedoms that I enjoy.

Verdict: 4 stars. It was a really good book, even though it was bittersweet. And, once I got about halfway through I stayed up late to finish the rest in one night. I now want to know more about the various countries I once lumped as the "Middle East."

So what are you reading? Any new recommendations?

8 comments:

JeNeale said...

I'm reading Tathea right now. Interestingly enough, it is published by an arm of Deseret Book, though I don't think the author is LDS. It has a some very beautiful passages about the pre-earth life. I'll post some on my blog tomorrow to see what you think.

I plan to tackle Thousand Splendid once I fully recover from Kite Runner and Asher Lev. Two depressing books in a row is too much!

Thanks for the virtual reminder, by the way. You're the best!!

Jared and Maren said...

So I think you all should become part of goodreads.com. Its, of course, part of google but you get to share what books you've read and your review.

Marisa said...

Of course it's from Google!! :O

JeNeale said...

I registered on goodreads a few weeks ago but never got around to inviting anyone to do it. Thanks for the reminder to git 'er done!

Katie said...

just read Jane Eyre... it's a classic, but I really enjoyed reading it again..

Jared and Maren said...

I'm finally reading Gone with the Wind!! I can't believe this is my first time AND I can't believe I've never seen the movie. I love the book! I'm only a 1/3 of the way through, so my family probably won't see me much today:)

Marisa said...

Oh, Jane Eyre and Gone with the Wind are two of my all time favorites!!! I'm so glad you enjoy them too.

I've registered on Good Reads -- you all have to register so we can keep our book lists going!

Heidi said...

I just finished reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was slightly disturbing but incredible. I would recommend it.