Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Lame-O Mom

Ok, so I'm feeling very sheepish and lame because all of you fantastic moms put up very nice posts about the first day of school and how sad you were to see your kids growing up and going to school.

Well, do I lose my mom-of-the-year trophy if I say I was actually a bit excited? But, not in the "I'm excited you're out of my hair" excited (Ok, ok...there might have been a flicker of that somewhere) but the "I'm so excited for you to experience Kindergarten and 3rd grade" excited. Let me explain: every year I would get this nervous/excited/can't sleep tummy ache for the first day of school. It was like Christmas eve, but better since I didn't know what was in store! (As most of you know, I don't really enjoy surprises so I usually knew most of my presents.) Every school year was like a blank slate. I still get excited before every semester that I teach because I look forward to meeting new students, having brand new Expo markers, and trying new things.

So, I guess I don't really get sad about school starting; I just get that nervous excitement. I think about Audrey's excitement about riding the bus for the first time, or Spencer's excitement about the new kid at school who's in his group and I'm excited for them.

Every year Cash's mom took a picture by the mailbox, so we have started that tradition with Spencer -- and now we've added Audrey.

10 comments:

Trish said...

heehee! I am so with you on this one! I am more of the excited you are out of my hair excited, though.

Unknown said...

So I was a little scared, but mostly excited also!
I still get a little nervous to have Patrick walking around the school alone! :) What a cute picture of the kids in front of the mailbox! :)

JeNeale said...

Cute picture, and mom must have started that tradition after I was out of the house. :) I feel a little cheated that I don't have mailbox pictures.

I remember feeling excited about school as a child, and I really was excited about it with my other kids, but at this point in my life, I'm not excited. I'm just watching my family grow up and leave home. :( Guess it's part of life.

Lynette said...

Wow...your kids are looking very grown up!!!

And I have to admit...I am always excited for the first day of school too! It is my favorite day of the year!!!

Hehehehe

Anonymous said...

I love the beginning of a new school year. Always did, still do with my kids. And I still have an unhealthy love for school and office supplies. The kids can always tell when there's a good sale on, because I squeal when I read the paper.... what can I say, back-to-school sales combine my two loves - being cheap and new pens! LOL

The Hills said...

Thanks, now I'm the only lame mom that doesn't post first day school pics.
Maren

Emily said...

So cute! Audrey's a little fashionista. I always felt the same way about school. It lasted for about two weeks; then I realized what I had really gotten into!

Kate said...

Gosh, Spencer looks so grown up! I almost didn't recognize him!! You are a great mom and I love the picture by the mailbox.

Katie said...

So cute... I can't believe Spencer is in third grade! WOW!

Shanna Jo Fehrs said...

hey marisa!
love audreys sandals. can you tell i love shoes? that's what i notice about the picture:) ...and of course, cute kiddos.