Monday, April 7, 2008

"My Favorite Summer Dessert Recipe" Monday

It's finally starting to warm up here and I love it! I love spring in Idaho, but that's another post. When it gets warm I start putting away the soup recipes and pulling out the summer fun! In honor of the return of the sun and MLB season (love you Cash!), this is my mom's Ice Cream dessert and it's 1) super easy, 2) great to make ahead, and 3) so fun for summer evenings on the deck! Oh, and the crunchy mix is sooo good that I have to make sure I don't eat it with a spoon...it does look an awful lot like cereal... I don't make this very often because Cash's mom doesn't like coconut and his brother is allergic to pecans... Maybe I can adapt the recipe...

Mom's Ice Cream Dessert
2 c. rice krispies (hummm... maybe there's a theme...)
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. coconut
1/2 c. melted butter
1/2 c. chopped pecans.
1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream (the kind in a box) -- softened a bit

Mix ingredients together in a bowl. Place 2/3 in a 9x13 dish. Take your box of ice cream and peel off the box. Slice ice cream (about 1 to 1 1/2" slices) and layer on your yummy crunchy stuff. Just use the extra ice cream to fill in the gaps. Top with the rest of your crunchy mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refreeze until ready to eat.

My mom would make a topping with Strawberry Danish Dessert (I have no idea what that is) and frozen strawberries. I just use strawberry freezer jam, or even the strawberry ice cream topping.

If you try it let me know! Do any Schroeders remember this?

Well, Audrey is home from preschool and Emmett is awake...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy- this sounds delicious!!!

Rhiannon said...

That sounds so yummy, I will have to put that on my list of things to try! I just can't wait to see ya'll. Can't wait to see ya'll, and meet Emmett! I think Mia is even excited! I know Jonny just can't wait to hang out and hear all about the Cubs and Mt. Dew!

J Willhite said...

Yes, I do remember this dessert, but not until I saw the picture. Yummm.... I will definitely be making it this summer. Jer & Steph are here and Jer put up our outdoor speakers, so we are ready for summer parties, and now I have the perfect dessert. Thank you!!!

JeNeale said...

I love this dessert, so make it already! Mom can pick out the coconut, and what's another trip to the ER for Jared? Never mind that, he has an EPI pen now. :)(Hee Hee)

Unknown said...

Yes, it does sound like a yummy dessert and you can make it just leave the "nuts" out. Thanks JeNeale I know that you love your mom and little brother.

Emily said...

Marisa--

We tried the kimchi chiggae today! It's my favorite of all time. I tweaked it just a bit from the website, I just added the tofu at the end, times the sauce by 1 1/2, and added 200mL water instead. (about 6oz). It was DELICIOUS and tasted just like the restaurant!!!!

Laurie Nelson said...

This is one of my favorites as well. I have a recipe for a raspberry topping for it that is fabulous.

Emily said...

Marisa!
You have to try the kimchi jjigae. It's SO easy. Chopping up the veggies takes the longest time, but after that, you basically throw everything in the pot and wait for 5 minutes!
Yum!

Emily said...

PS:
my manager, Jenifer, loves your blog. She is stealing your recipes :)

J+S said...

I tried this dessert and I love it! I actually served it with caramel topping. And Emily's right, I'm stealing your recipes!

J+S said...

I can't stop eating this. It is so delish!