Monday, April 14, 2008

"My Favorite Pasta Recipe" Monday

Creamy Fusilli
This is my "go to" pasta when I want something quick but yummy. This isn't the fanciest pasta, or the healthiest pasta, but I love this pasta because 1) it's so easy to make, 2) it satisfies most finicky eaters, 3) I almost always have most of the ingredients on hand, and 4) you can substitute most of the ingredients for lower fat ingredients although I have to admit...the real stuff makes it taste so much creamier [my MIL and SIL JeNeale are always getting after me for not having the "real stuff."]. I don't have a picture of the dish -- but here are the fusilli noodles that I like:
I can only find these fusilli noodles in the bulk section at Winco (bonus!) but most fusilli you find looks more like rotini, which you can easily substitute.

Ingredients:
4 c. fusilli or rotini (I do quite a bit and then double the sauce...I never actually measure the pasta)
3 T. butter
2/3 c. Parmesan cheese
1/3 c. parsley (I actually prefer the dried kind so my kids don't freak out; I just use a 2-4 T of the dried parsley)
2 T. mayonnaise
1/2 c. whipping cream
2 garlic cloves, mashed (I use a mortar and pestle but you can mash garlic with the side of a large chef's knife and some salt)
8 bacon slices, crisped and crumbled

Cook and drain pasta. Melt butter, add cheese, parsley, mayo, cream, and garlic. Mix and warm (don't boil). Toss cheese mixture with hot pasta and crumbled bacon until well coated. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

Like I said, I usually make a few more noodles than this and double the sauce. You can also add diced chicken and steamed veggies (asparagus and broccoli are yummy).

OK, what are your favorite pasta dishes? I'd love some new ideas! :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You did an awesome job in activity days! I just can't get the girls to bring their books!! They always ask if you are going to come and visit :) I am going to invite myself over to have you show me how to make the bracelets for the girls- I have a lot of questions!
p.s., if this is the pasta you made for us- I am glad you posted it because it was delicious!

Emily said...

I love rigatoni with a really simple sauce: half spaghetti sauce from a jar and half heavy whipping cream or half-and-half. You can then add veggies, (tomato and asparagus!) and/or chicken. Super easy, super yum. Probably super not good for you. But....still super yum!

Anonymous said...

That sounds YUMMY!

Thanks!!

Unknown said...

p.s. I just tagged you :)

Anonymous said...

HEY! I've got a new recipe that you have to try! I got it from America's Test Kitchen. It's for blueberry scones, and they are DELICIOUS! The recipe looks a tiny bit complicated at first, but once you do it the first time, it's actually pretty easy.

Not something I'd make every day, but GREAT for company or bringing baked goods to something!

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=4432&iSeason=8

Trish said...

You okay over there??

Kate said...

where have you been on your blog????? well, it is late and i am exhausted so i'll have to comment later when i can think.